Why Advanced Blood Testing is the Key to Optimal Health with Dr. Murdoc Khaleghi of WellnessFX
Greetings, superfriends, and welcome to this week’s episode.
I’m super excited about today’s guest. In a lot of past episodes, we’ve talked about the importance of blood testing and regular checkups to make sure your health is on point. A lot of you have reached out to me and expressed confusion – what blood tests should people invest in? What should they be looking for? Why?
Well, today, we’re in for a special treat, because we have Dr. Murdoc Khaleghi, Medical Director of a company called Wellness FX. If you haven’t heard of Wellness FX, they’re a company that’s leading the industry in advanced, consumer-focused blood testing that helps you understand exactly what’s going on in your body, with sophisticated software and analytical tools. What 23 and Me is to genetic testing and uBiome is to gut testing, Wellness FX is to blood testing.
Dr. Khaleghi has had an extremely diverse career, from managing hospitals to McKinsey and much, much more. He’s published a number of books, from Healthiest You Ever to The Complete Idiots Guide to Boosting Your Immunity and The Everything Guide to preventing heart disease. He also holds a BS in Bioengineering, a medical degree, and an MBA.
In this episode, we talk about a lot of the different ways you can optimize and measure your health indicators, from blood testing to supplements and nutrition. We go into some nitty gritty details of what you need to look out for in your blood work, and what it might mean. If you visit the blog post, we’re also going to be listing out the 25 basic biomarkers that WellnessFX recommends getting tested, so make sure to check it out.
There’s a lot of great information and takeaway value here, so I’m very excited to introduce you to Dr. Murdoc Khaleghi.
In this episode on blood testing, we discuss:
- Dr. Murdoc Khaleghi’s path from medical school to Wellness FX
- What is WellnessFX, and how is it different from the blood testing your doctor might review?
- What does the term “biomarker” mean, exactly?
- What are the most important, emerging, and lesser-known markers that predict your health and vitality?
- What’s wrong with traditional blood testing and the way people do or don’t understand their results?
- A quick overview of the various service packages and costs of blood testing
- What are the obvious and less obvious things that we need to look out for in our blood testing results?
- What are some major misconceptions in blood testing where the common wisdom is leading us astray?
- What is the truth behind LDL and HDL cholesterol?
- Which biomarkers actually predict heart attacks and strokes?
- How often should you actually get blood testing done, and why?
- What is Hemoglobin A1C, and why is it so important to keep track of?
- What are the most impactful health changes that Dr. Khaleghi recommends making in your own life?
- What things did Dr. Murdoc Khaleghi learn in medical school that he discovered were wrong?
- What diet and exercise regimen does Dr. Khaleghi recommend based on the data he has seen?
- What supplements does Dr. Murdoc Khaleghi recommend, and which does he take himself?
- The benefits of probiotics throughout the body
- Fish Oil, Omega 6, and Omega 3’s, and why they’re important
- Who’s work does Dr. Murdoc Khaleghi follow or admire?
- Convergence in nutrition information, specifically the “Paleo vs. Low Protein” debate, and how they’re similar
- What would a $100 “quick start” kit by Dr. Murdoc Khaleghi look like?
Resources Mentioned in This Episode:
- Dr. Murdoc Khaleghi’s 6 different books
- Our previous episode with Robb Wolf
- Our previous episode with Abel James
- Our previous episode with Dr. Loren Cordain
- Vitamin D3 Supplements
- Probiotic Supplements
- Kombucha (my personal probiotic source)
- Multivitamin supplements
- Fish Oil supplements (Robb Wolf’s Recommended Brand)
- Dr. Joel Fuhrman, author of Eat to Live
- T. Colin Campbell, author of The China Study and Whole