Shane Snow On Lateral Thinking And On Building Dream Teams
Today’s guest is an award-winning journalist, celebrated entrepreneur, and the bestselling author of a book called Smartcuts, of an upcoming book (by the time you hear it, a new book) called Dream Teams, and the co-author of The Storytelling Edge.
He is also the co-founder of the content technology company Contently, and you’ve probably seen his work in Fast Company, Wired, The New Yorker, and dozens more top publications. His name, for those of you who are now wondering, is Shane Snow.
In this wide-ranging conversation, we talk about lateral thinking, what it is and how you can utilize it. We also talk about teams, and how you can work better in them. We all work with other people (at least occasionally), and so we talked, Shane and I, about how you can leverage those connections to get more out of them, rather than being distracted and held back by the people you work with. That is a very important topic for everyone, and a very interesting topic for me particularly at this moment at the time of recording, as we are as always trying to grow and scale our business for you folks.
And, to top these off, we talked about productivity hacks, life-hacks and health hacks that help Shane do so much with the same 24 hours that the rest of us have.
I really enjoyed this conversation. You folks will notice that, lately, we’ve been doing slightly shorter conversations, and that is because I want you folks to spend less time with your digital devices, and more time in deep thought. Let me know if you enjoy that, or if you want us to go back to the slightly longer format.
P.S. Do you dream of starting your own business on the internet to achieve financial freedom, empower tens of thousands of people, and one day…one day… find yourself in the company of other great entrepreneurs and thought leaders like Ray Kurzweil, Peter Diamandis, Joe Polish, Dean Graziosi, Russell Brunson, and more?
Well… What if that day was today?
In this episode, we discuss:
- Who is Shane Snow and what does he do? [6:15]
- What are smartcuts? [7:30]
- The power of taking ideas and inspiration from different fields [9:55]
- 2 important points on lateral thinking [13:15]
- Can a team really add up to more than the sum of its parts? [14:55]
- How do we collaborate more effectively? [18:45]
- Staying in the ideal zone of collaboration [21:40]
- How Shane is balancing his time between his projects [25:00]
- The importance of consistently devoting time to exploring new things [26:20]
- What are some SuperHuman hacks that Shane Snow utilizes to perform at such a high level? [28:35]
- Some products and services Shane can’t live without [32:10]
- Where to find out more about Shane Snow [36:00]
- Shane’s takeaway message [36:55]
Resources Mentioned in This Episode:
- Smartcuts by Shane Snow
- Dream Teams by Shane Snow
- The Storytelling Edge by Shane Snow
- Deep Work by Cal Newport
- The Snow Report by Shane Snow
- Shane’s personal website
- The open-mindedness test by Shane Snow