The Critical Flaw Behind Most Self Improvement Thinking w/ Author Derek Rydall
Today we are joined by Derek Rydall, an american screenwriter and author. Derek has worked as an actor, a screenwriter, a screenplay consultant, and has written a few books. He also hosts a podcast called Emergence. But actually, he joins us today to talk about his latest book – Emergence: Seven Steps for Radical Life Change.It’s a book about enacting change in your life and in yourself, and figuring out how to re-engage with an ancient principle for living a better life.
During this episode, we talk about the Law of Emergence and some of the misconceptions about self help and personal growth, we learn Derek’s story of his own emergence, and if you stick around to the end, you’ll even get a free copy of Derek’s book! I hope you guys really enjoy the episode and get a hefty dose of inspiration and motivation from it!
In this episode, we discuss:
- The journey that took Derek Rydall from acting to where he is today
- What took Derek off of his path of becoming a successful actor?
- The ways in which self improvement led Derek Rydall down and disappointed him
- The story of how drug addiction nearly took Derek’s life
- A terrifying near-death experience that turned everything around in an instant
- Who was the “real” person behind everything, and what did it mean for Derek to discover him?
- What happened when Derek tried to become a monk?
- The ways in which Derek Rydall disagrees with traditional “self improvement”
- What is “the law of mind,” how does it work, and how is it different from the law of attraction?
- The more natural, healthy way to grow and develop, as discovered by Derek
- The origins of the word “human,” and why it’s so interesting
- A discussion of frequencies, energetics, and quantum mechanics
- What is “the law of emergence” and what are the 7 steps to radical life change?
- The “perennial teaching” that connects all of the major religions and schools of thought
- How can you develop a vision and discover what your purpose and passion are?
- What is a “quantum plan,” and how do you develop one in your life?
- A discussion of character building and why it’s important
- What stands in the way when most people try to make changes or improvements in their lives?
- Where to get a copy of Derek’s book for free
- What is the 1 major takeaway from this episode that Derek Rydall wants you to remember
Resources Mentioned in This Episode:
- Derek’s promotional website where you can get the book for free
- The Law of Emergence website
- Emergence: Seven Steps for Radical Life Change (Derek’s book)
- Derek’s podcast, Emergence
Favorite Quotes from Derek Rydall: