Self Defense & Nutrition Expert Jennifer Cassetta on How to Defend Your Mind, Body, and Heart
Greetings everyone! In our previous episode with Adi Rotem, we talked a lot about martial arts and the fighter’s spirit. A number of you guys reached out and expressed some desire to hear some more concrete self-defense tips. Well, first of all, thanks so much for those of you who reached out! Second of all, I think you’re going to love today’s episode. My guest is Ms. Jennifer Cassetta, a clinical nutritionist, personal trainer and 3rd degree black belt in Hapkido with a passion to empower women to be strong, safe and sexy. But gentlemen, don’t tune out just yet!
Jennifer created the popular Stilettos and Self Defense DVD series, has recently published a book, and has been featured on The Today Show, The Doctors, E! and many more. She teaches empowerment, safety and self defense workshops around the country while she continues her nutrition and corporate wellness practice in Los Angeles.
As you will quickly notice, Jennifer and I really had fun chatting, and we go on a lot of interesting but kind of unrelated tangents. Whether you’re a male or a female, this episode will offer you a lot of value and maybe remind you of some important mindset adjustments you should be keeping in mind. We talk about all kinds of different ways to defend your mind, your heart, and your body from would-be attackers, ranging from being conscious of what types of things and people you expose yourself to all the way to grass-fed beef. Furthermore, for the men in the audience, Jennifer’s wisdom will definitely offer you some great insights and ideas that you can share with the women in your life to help them stay happy, healthy, and safe. I think you’ll have a lot of fun listening to it, and I hope you take a lot away from it, as well.
In this episode, we discuss:
- How Jennifer became interested in self defense, and September 11th caused her to make it her life’s work
- The unexpected and powerful benefits of martial arts training
- What it means to protect your mind from potentially harmful outside forces
- The idea of selective consumption, and being careful what kinds of vibes you’re exposed to
- Some of the warning signs that alert women AND men that a relationship might be unhealthy
- Finding balance, and what is the right level of self confidence
- Where to begin if you want to train in martial arts
- Jennifer Cassetta’s top tips for avoiding dangerous and compromising situations
- Which martial arts are more practical for defending yourself?
- Jennifer’s thoughts on nutrition and treating your body right
- A really disturbing story that will make you more careful about the meat you’re eating!
- Synthetic meat – go or no go?
- What are the differences between the ideal diets for men and women?
- The importance of fat in our diets
- Thoughts on gluten, grass-fed meat, and the paleo diet
- Jennifer’s sources of inspiration
- What about cheating on your diet once in a while?
- What Jennifer is working on now!
- Some notes on self publishing, for those of you who are writing books
Resources Mentioned in This Episode:
- James Altucher and his book, “Choose Yourself“
- Jennifer’s book, “Hear Me Roar: How to Defend Your Mind, Body, and Heart Against People Who Suck!“
- Marriage & divorce researcher John Gottman (Here’s his book, too)
- The Gracie family, a legendary team who developed Brazilian Jiu Jitsu
- Hapkido, a form of martial arts
- Synthetic in vitro meat
- Sapiens: A Brief History of Humankind, a bestselling book by Yuval Noah Harari
- Tony Robbins and his many books
- Dr. Wayne Dyer and his many books
- Dr. Mark Hyman and his many books
- Dr. Andrew Weil and his many books
- The Four Hour Body by Tim Ferriss
- Jennifer Cassetta’s website