Rand Fishkin On Choosing Your Own Path In Business & Life
Today we are joined by Rand Fishkin. Rand is the founder of SparkToro, but you might know him from his previous company – he was the co-founder of Moz and Inbound.org.
Rand has dedicated his professional life to helping people do better marketing through the Whiteboard Friday video series, his blog, and his book, Lost and Founder: A Painfully Honest Field Guide to the Startup World.
I was introduced to Rand by a mutual friend, Stephan Spencer, who told me that we “just had to speak” because we would have so many things in common – well, we did. In this conversation, we ranged from entrepreneurship to depression and anxiety, to quality of life. We also covered how you can implement some of the strategies that Rand has used to achieve what I would call is a SuperHuman level of not only success. but quality of life as well.
It’s a very interesting and far-ranging conversation, so it is my pleasure to present you with this great episode!
In this episode, we discuss:
- Who is Rand Fishkin, what does he do, and how did he get there? [3:05]
- A conversation on the success of Moz [6:05]
- What caused Rand to leave Moz and pursue a new opportunity? [9:35]
- Building up a software company with a different approach [11:10]
- Rand’s depression [12:10]
- The surprising number of people with depression in the entrepreneurship world [15:15]
- How did the venture backing model come to exist? [18:20]
- How is Rand’s current business different? [22:30]
- How does Rand keep himself operating at a SuperHuman level? [26:40]
- Saying no [29:20]
- Having everything in one place, and ignoring everything else [32:00]
- Why sometimes smaller business allow for way more productivity [34:00]
- A conversation on Lost & Founder, Rand Fishkin’s book [35:30]
- Should you build a venture-backed business? [38:00]
- Where can you find more about Rand Fishkin? [40:15]
- Rand Fishkin’s final takeaway message [40:40]
Resources Mentioned in This Episode:
- Our latest episode with David Heinemeier Hansson
- Our first episode with David Heinemeier Hansson
- David Heinemeier Hansson’s books on Amazon
- SparkToro’s website
- Our latest episode with Jeff Sanders
- Hooked by Nir Eyal
- Lost and Founder: A Painfully Honest Field Guide to the Startup World by Rand Fishkin
- Rand Fishkin’s email
- Rand Fishkin’s Twitter