Mastering Your Long Term Memory w/ Ron White, 2X USA Champion
Greetings, SuperFriends, and welcome to today’s show.
My guest today is Ronnie White, one of the top memory experts in the world. He’s a two-time national memory champion, having won the USA competition in both 2009 and 2010. He also held the record for the fastest memorization of a deck of shuffled cards for 2 years – a shocking 1 minute and 27 seconds.
Today, he trains individuals and corporations all over the world on how to better take advantage of their natural memory skills.
Given my background in Memory, Speed Reading, and Accelerated Learning, I was eager to interview Ron and learn everything I could from him. We talk about mnemonic techniques, adaptations, and a lot of powerful learning strategies.
Just a heads up, this episode is going to be a bit “technical,” and we’re not going to dumb things down for you. If you’re unclear on some of the terms, I suggest checking out our past episodes with Dr. Anthony Metivier, Nelson Dellis, and Mark Channon.
In this episode, we discuss:
- What podcasts Ronnie White listens to
- How Ron White got into the memory improvement industry
- Do some people have a larger memory aptitude than others?
- Why is memory important to train, even today?
- What are the practical benefits of improving your memory?
- Short term versus long term memory and how to move information between them
- How exactly Ron White memorized 2,300 fallen soldiers’ full names & ranks
- Practical tips for reviewing names & faces
- I test out Ron White’s Hebrew skills, and he explains how he memorized sentences
- A discussion of synesthesia as a mnemonic technique
- Advanced techniques used in memory championships such as PAO, Ben System, etc
- (These techniques are taught in the SuperLearner MasterClass)
- What exact techniques did Ron White use in the championships, and what is used today?
- How does Ron White approach learning in general, especially when it’s not just memorization?
- Why did Ron White choose a Navy SEAL as a coach instead of a memory expert?
- A very unusual training technique Ron White used to dominate his competitors
- Who are some of Ron White’s role models?
- A discussion of great books and reading older books
- Information about Ron White’s business
- What is the 1 takeaway message that Ron White would like you to remember from this episode?
Resources Mentioned in This Episode:
- The Digital Marketing Podcast
- The Joe Rogan Experience
- The Memory Training Institute of Blaine Athorn and Kevin Trudeau
- Joshua Foer, author of Moonwalking With Einstein
- Our previous episode with Harry Lorayne
- Tony Buzan (Wikipedia)
- Dominic O’Brien (Wikipedia)
- Dale Carnegie’s How to Win Friends & Influence People
- The Prince by Niccólo Machiavelli
- The 22 Immutable Laws of Marketing
- The Robert Collier Letter Book
- Ron White’s Online Memory Training
- Ron White’s YouTube page, RonWhiteVideo.com