How Wheat & Grains Are Literally Killing You W/ Wheat Belly Author William Davis, M.D.
“Cholesterol testing is a laughable fiction. It’s nonsense.”
— William Davis, M.D.
If you remember back to our 3 part series on Paleo, we talked a lot with both Robb Wolf and Dr. Loren Cordain about the perils of grains and how much havoc they can wreak on our body. To learn more about this, we’ve invited the man whom many to consider to be the leading authority on the topic. He’s a cardiologist, blogger, and author of many books, including the New York Times bestseller Wheat Belly, two Wheat Belly cookbooks, Wheat Belly Total Health, and his newest book, Wheat Belly 10-Day Detox.
In this episode, we go into very deep into the health concerns associated with a typical western diet. We learn in great detail the physiological effects of grains, we finally sort out the big deal with cholesterol and learn a ton about LDL, HDL, and why the way we look at it is wrong. We even learn some very practical and applicable tips for cleaning up our diet and health, from a cardiological perspective.
In this episode, we discuss:
- The story of how Dr. William Davis, M.D. transitioned from cardiology to where he is today
- What actually causes heart disease, and what does not?
- What’s the real story with LDL and HDL cholesterol, and why is what we know mistaken?
- What actual results and figures in blood testing indicate a real risk of cardiac disease?
- Statin drugs, the dangers behind them, and how they influence the information reaching the public
- What are the various tests you can do for lipid testing, and which ones are the best?
- How is cholesterol “calculated” (estimated) when you get it tested?
- What are the cheap, free, and effective ways to improve your lipid profile?
- What’s the big deal with wheat, and why is it so bad for us?
- How has the wheat plant been altered and changed over decades (or more)
- What do anthropologists say about wheat, gluten, and our current diet?
- What are phytates and lectins, and why are they even worse for us than gluten?
- Do some people tolerate grains and gluten well? (i.e., are you “immune?”)
- The long list of long-term symptoms and health issues caused by grains
- Why do the various regulatory bodies still claim that we should eat “whole grains?”
- What is new about Dr. William Davis, M.D.’s latest book
- The idea of a “detox shake” and what exactly it does in your body
- What does William Davis, M.D. think of the paleo movement?
- Should we be eating dairy? Why or why not? What parts of it are and are not good for you?
- Where do diseases like small pox, measles, and mumps come from?
- Whose work does William Davis, M.D. follow and admire?
- Does William Davis, M.D. ever have a cheat day? Why or why not?
- Why you should share this episode, from Dr. Davis
- What is the weekly homework, directly from William Davis, M.D.?
- Opiate withdraw syndrome or “paleo flu,” and why it happens
Resources Mentioned in This Episode:
- Dr. William Davis, M.D.’s 5 books on Amazon
- VAP testing offered by Atherotech
- Liposcience HD Labs NMR testing
- Our previous episode with Robb Wolf
- Our previous episode with Dr. Loren Cordain
- Our previous episode with Derek Sivers
- Dr. Ronald Krauss
- Dr. Alessio Fasano
- The Wheat Belly Blog
- The Wheat Belly Facebook Page
Favorite Quotes from GUEST:
“I became very disenchanted with this notion that heart health is delivered through a procedure… I was doing up to 10 procedures a day.”
“You’ll find that the number one cause for heart disease, heart attack… is NOT high cholesterol. It’s not fat intake. I call that the kindergarten version of heart disease.”
“Cholesterol does not cause heart disease. Cholesterol is a passenger.”
“Modern wheat is the worst of the worst.”
“We’re not advocating some expensive intravenous new drug… we’re not advocating some expensive program… we’re just saying shift your choices in diet and astounding things happen.”
“If human time on earth was compressed into a 24 hour day, we added grains and dairy at 11:54pm.”