How Spirituality, Mindfulness, Psychedelics, & Religion Alter Your Brain & Performance w/ Neuroscience Researcher Mark Robert Waldman
Today, we are joined by author, neuroscientific researcher, therapist, and the world’s leading expert on spirituality and the brain, Mark Robert Waldman. Mark is faculty at Loyola Marymount University and author of 13 books, including Words Can Change Your Brain and How God Changes Your Brain, the latter of which was nominated as a “must read” by Oprah Winfrey. He’s also just published a new book on January 31st, called Neurowisdom.
Mark’s body of work is a formidable cornucopia of knowledge on the brain, and how we can influence it’s development and behavior with something as simple as thoughts and beliefs. But don’t worry, this isn’t going to be another episode where I go off into energies and woo-woo… Mark is a very respected researcher in the field of neuroscience, having had his work published in peer-reviewed journals worldwide, and publications ranging from Time Magazine to Forbes and The New York Times.
In this episode, we talk about… god, neuroscience, psychedelics, spirituality, yawning, communications, guided meditations.
In this episode, we discuss:
- What is the fastest way to wake up your entire brain? (surprising and quite interesting)
- How did Mark Robert Waldman get into neuroscience?
- How do meditation, prayer, and God influence your brain? Is it positive or negative?
- What are the health and cognitive benefits of having a spiritual practice?
- How can you immediately “turn off” your ability to feel anxious?
- What is “practical neuroscience,” and how can it improve your life?
- What is spirituality? How do we define it?
- A real-time mindfulness exercise for focusing the mind and understanding spirituality
- Where does mindfulness and spirituality actual reside inside the brain?
- Is it worth developing a spiritual practice, even if you don’t believe in “God,” for the health benefits?
- How did Mark Robert Waldman go from being an ordained minister to a researcher and university lecturer
- What did Mark learn from reviewing over 300 books on neuroscience?
- What does Mark say about psychedelics? Would he recommend them to his own children?
- What happened when Mark Robert Waldman “overdosed” on DMT, an extremely potent hallucinogen?
- How can you practically take advantage of the neuroscience, even if you don’t believe in God?
- An interesting discussion of communication skills, and how they align your brain with other peoples’
- How can a simple meditation and contemplative practice improve sales, productivity, and performance?
- How much meditation do you actually need to do to see the benefits?
- 10 easy micro assignments for you to do over the next week
Resources Mentioned in This Episode:
- Why God Won’t Go Away by Andrew Newberg
- Books by Mark Robert Waldman & Andrew Newberg: