Diane Fu on CrossFit, Olympic Weightlifting, & the Importance of Strong Women
This episode is brought to you by Audible. Please take a moment to sign up for a free 1 month trial at audibletrial.com/superhuman.
My guest today is one of the most notable and respected names in the CrossFit world, and an accomplished Olympic weightlifting specialist named Diane Fu. If you’ve ever visited a CrossFit gym anywhere in the world and seen a chart on the wall demonstrating the ideal Olympic lifting movements and positions, you might already been familiar with her. She has been in the fitness industry all of her professional life, and has trained and worked early on with the great Kelly Starrett at SF CrossFit, long before either of them were what they are today. More recently she has competed nationally as an Olympic lifter, and is the head coach at FuBarbell. On another note, she’s just a crazy-strong lady who breaks barriers and personal records like it’s her business – and actually, it kind of is!
For those who are interested in optimizing health or getting more out of their workouts, this interview will offer a lot of value. Diane was an absolute pleasure to speak to, and her wealth of insider knowledge on both the worlds of fitness and of CrossFit more specifically will definitely impress you. It’s also a really lively conversation, and has tons of entertainment value! I know you’re going to enjoy it.
In this episode, we discuss:
- Why there are pictures of Diane in nearly every CrossFit gym in the world!
- How Diane Fu became such a fitness expert (and came to work with some of the industry greats)
- The humble beginnings of CrossFit in Northern California
- What exactly is “CrossFit” all about, and who can and can’t do it?
- Why has Diane Fu transitioned more into Olympic Weightlifting
- Can everyone benefit from Olympic Weightlifting?
- The importance of mental stimulation and variety in a fitness regimen
- Where does mobility fit in for your average person?
- Improving the mechanics of your squat – the most important movement you can do
- Diane’s thoughts on women’s fear of “getting bulky”
- What diets has Diane Fu experimented with, and how does she eat now?
- Health supplements, and which ones Diane recommends
- What are the main sources of Diane’s success?
- What is the one ritual or routine that everyone should do every single day?
- What’s next for Diane Fu, and what she’s working on right now!
Resources Mentioned in This Episode:
- FuBarbell x PushPress Olympic Weightlifting Poster (Free!)
- Becoming a Supple Leopard by Kelly Starrett
- Adrian Bozman
- FuBarbell, Diane’s Company
- Trainer Mark Rippetoe
- Deskbound: Sitting is the New Smoking by Kelly Starrett
- Our interview with Erwan Le Corre
- The Zone Diet by Dr. Barry Sears
- The Paleo Diet, which I follow
- Supplements (along with our recommended brands):
- Our podcast episode with Adi Rotem
- Pay for your metro tickets with squats in Moscow (Video)
- The Rise of SuperMan by Steven Kotler, which Diane is currently reading
- FuBarbell on Facebook
- Diane Fu on Twitter and Instagram
- SF CrossFit, where you can visit Diane and take a class!
- This episode’s sponsor, Audible