Could Giving Up Alcohol Make You “SuperHuman?” w/ Ruari Fairbairns
Greetings, SuperFriends, and welcome to this week’s episode of the Becoming Superhuman Podcast!
This week is a special episode for a couple different reasons. For one, we are continuing my format of coming a little bit less prepared to the interviews and just seeing where it takes me, and I think you guys will agree that the interviews tend to come out a little bit more interesting, a little bit more engaging, when I just roll with the punches and explore my curiosity.
The second reason that this episode is special is because we’re covering a topic that’s actually pretty close to my heart and politically close to my journey of becoming superhuman, and that is the quest to stop drinking alcohol.
I, like many people who choose not to drink alcohol, never really had a problem… I wouldn’t say I had a alcohol addiction or anything like that, but along about two years ago, I decided to stop drinking alcohol. There are a lot of reasons for that, be it health, be it better sleep, be it just a lifestyle choice, a social choice, a challenge really…
To facilitate this discussion, I wanted to invite on someone who has helped tens of thousands of people go through the same journey, and someone who has an incredible story, so that he and I could really both share what we had to say and try and encourage you to explore this and see if this is something that could add value in your own lives as it has in both of ours.
We are joined today by Ruari Fairbairns. He’s an entrepreneur, he’s a speaker, he’s an oil broker of all things, and he’s a father of two girls. He and his partner founded One Year No Beer, which is basically a challenge to help people get alcohol free and focus on fitness in a more communal and a little bit more modern approach than some of the other ways that people quit alcohol. They have tens of thousands of members all over the world who are transforming their lives following simple and science backed shifts in mindset.
In this episode, we talk about all kinds of different benefits for giving up alcohol. We’re going to talk about ways that you can give up alcohol and ways to really assess if this is something that is right for you. As I said, this is something that’s provided a lot of value in my own life, from improved health to forcing me to develop my own social skills, and you’ll hear a lot about that in the episode as well.
I hope you guys really do enjoy it, and do let me know on the Twitter machine or in the comments below if you do!
In this episode, we discuss:
- Who is Ruari Fairbairns, and how did he get to where he is today?
- How did alcohol become a problem for Ruari? How did it manifest in his personal & professional life?
- What changed for Ruari when he gave up alcohol?
- What things has Ruari accomplished since giving up alcohol?
- Why black or white? Why not drink moderately? Do you have to give it up completely?
- What are the social challenges of giving up alcohol? How can you overcome them?
- Jonathan’s reasons for NOT drinking, and the social benefits & growth he’s experienced as a result
- What’s the process of giving up alcohol using Ruari’s system? How’s it special?
- The relationship between social bonds and alcohol, and what research has shown
- What products or services could Ruari Fairbairns not live without?
- What other books does Ruari recommend?
- Where to get a hold of Ruari Fairbairns
- What’s the #1 takeaway from this episode?
Resources Mentioned in This Episode:
- Our previous episode w/ Anthony Metivier (the last time I drank alcohol)
- The Power Of Habit by Charles Duhigg
- This Naked Mind by Annie Grace
- Tools of Titans by Tim Ferriss