Bringing Functional Medicine In Your Life W/ Elyse Wagner
Today we are joined by Elyse Wagner. Elyse is another person that I met through Genius Network (it seems like my entire network is now becoming wonderful people from Genius Network)!
Elyse has a passion for educating & empowering others to become the CEO of their health, and, for that reason, she is the proud co-founder of FMCA, the global leader in health coaching. Their innovative training courses are making personalized healthcare a reality for the world.
While that’s just the bio that I wanted to give for Elyse, I think that it perfectly lines up with what we talked about in the episode. Because we’ve talked about functional medicine a lot in the past, as we’ve had incredible guests, from Mark Hyman to Sachin Patel, we’ve learned a lot about what functional medicine is.
What we haven’t actually learned, though, is how we can start applying and approaching it from a way that’s practical and affordable in our own lives. Having a functional medicine doctor can cost tens of thousands of dollars a year, and that’s not realistic for a lot of people.
Personally, I really loved my biggest takeaway from the episode, which was that you don’t have to completely jump ship to benefit from the things that functional medicine is discovering and teaching. You can work with your doctor in a different way, you can be an educated consumer of medicine, and you can always find a functional medicine coach – Elyse will share with you how to do that.
I really enjoyed chatting with Elyse. She has an incredible energy and vibrancy, and it is, as you’ll find out, only because of functional medicine. We really hear a lot in this episode about her journey to health and wellness, both emotionally and physically.
I really believe that you will enjoy this episode, too!
In this episode, we discuss:
- What does Elyse Wagner do? [6:00]
- Painting the picture of contemporary conventional medicine [7:45]
- What is functional medicine, and how is it different from conventional medicine? [10:15]
- Seeing the patient for who they are as a whole [13:00]
- How did Elyse Wagner get into functional medicine? [13:30]
- The impact the changes Elyse made had on her [16:00]
- What were Elyse next steps after her transformation? [17:00]
- Health is not just food and nutrition and movement [18:00]
- Getting sick in Seattle [19:05]
- What is Celiac disease? [22:00]
- Moving back to Chicago and starting FMCA [23:00]
- What are some things that you can do to avoid getting stuck between doctors that can’t help you? [23:40]
- Navigating the balance between functional medicine and conventional medicine [26:20]
- What are some good first steps to get yourself healthier? [29:30]
- Mindset is the most important thing [32:15]
- Some rapid-fire questions for Elyse to answer [34:30]
- What are some books that have changed Elyse Wagner’s life? [35:00]
- What is the best 100$ purchase Elyse Wagner has recently made? [35:40]
- Elyse’s takeaway message [38:00]
Resources Mentioned in This Episode:
- The power of being in the right room (our episode on the Genius Network)
- Our previous episode with Mark Hyman
- Our previous episode with Sachin Patel
- Functional Medicine Coaching Academy (FMCA)
- Find Your WHY – Simon Sinek
- Via survey
- Phyllis A. Balch books
- The Untethered Soul: The Journey Beyond Yourself by Michael A. Singer
- Happy Money: The New Science of Smarter Spending by Elizabeth Dunn and Michael Norton
- FMCA’s Instagram
- FMCA’s Facebook