Abel James on How to Lose Belly Fat… By Eating More Fat
Greetings, superfriends! This week, we’re talking about a topic that just about everyone seems to be interested in – fat loss. With nearly 60% of the population suffering from obesity or related afflictions in many western countries, you can see why it’s such a hot topic.
To dive into it, I’ve invited one of THE authorities on the topic – Abel James. Years ago, he decided to depart from all the common dieting advice that had kept him overweight and unhealthy and do his own research and experimentation. Through that research and experimentation, he was able to shed 20 pounds in 40 days. Fast forward a few years, and he is now the host of the award-winning, #1 rated podcast, Fat Burning Man. He’s written books, online courses, and done high-end coaching for elite bodybuilders. In short, this dude knows a ton about diet and fat-loss, and I can’t wait to get into it.
In the episode, we’re going to talk about choosing the right diet, why everything you know about nutrition is probably BS, how to make dietary choices, decreasing body fat, how much is too much… ahhhh there’s a lot of amazing little nuggets here, and frankly I could listen to Abel talk about this stuff all day. So, let’s dive in.
In this episode with Abel James, we discuss:
- How Abel James had massive health issues, despite following the traditional dietary advice
- Why Abel’s apartment burning down became a transformational point in his life
- How to lose belly fat by eating more fat
- Where did our fear of fat as a society come from, and how is it flawed?
- The problems with what has become “normal” to us
- What happens if you have a high-fat diet but don’t exercise?
- What is the “wild diet” advocated by Abel James, and what does a typical meal look like
- Real food desserts, dairy, fruit, and other “should I eat it” items
- The importance of variety, and not eating the same things every day
- How has Abel’s blood work changed now that he eats so much fat and cholesterol?
- Does Abel do a “cheat day?” Should you?
- How can you get below 10% body fat – and is it worth it?
- The tradeoffs of drinking alcohol, and striking a healthy balance
- Tips on how to transition smoothly into a healthier low-carb diet, and why it’s so incredibly painful
- Micro-exercise, and one piece of homework you can practice today
- Abel’s most recommended book
Resources Mentioned in This Episode:
- Pumping Iron, a documentary about Arnold Shwarzenegger
- Abel’s book, “The Wild Diet”
- Is Kale Really Toxic?
- The Four Hour Body by Tim Ferriss
- Wabi Sabi by Mark Reibstein
- My new course on personal branding, Branding You
- AbelJames.com, where the new album “Swamp Thing” is available
- Abel’s Blog & Podcast, Fat Burning Man
Favorite Quotes from Abel James: